The Frangipani Tree is an extremely elegant and luxurious boutique hotel situated right by the beach at Thalpe (which is about 30mins from Galle). Having been taken over by the Edwards Collection in 2014, they have now taken The Frangipani Tree to a new level. Having only 9 rooms, it does feel very intimate and there are plenty of opportunities to relax under the swaying palms. Whilst it is not safe to swim directly in from the beach in front of the hotel, they do have a magnificent swimming pool. If you particularly want to swim, then the hotel recommends either Vijaya Beach which is a 20minute walk on the beach from The Frangipani Tree, and has a protected reef or taking a tuk-tuk to Unawatuna where you can swim safely all year round.
AT A GLANCE:
- Standard: Boutique hotel – high/luxury
- Rooms: 9 suites in 3 villas- Olive Ridley, Leatherback and Hawksbill
- Olive Ridley
- Olive Ridley 1 & 2 – on the ground floor with no sea view
- Olive Ridley Beach Room- on the ground floor with ocean views.
- Olive Ridley Upper 1 & 2– on upper floor (these are the most spacious of the suites) and has direct ocean views (but no balcony)
- Leatherback Suites 1 & 2 – next to the pool – with private terrace and ocean view
- Hawksbill Suites 1 & 2 – has 2 inter-connecting suites with private terraces and direct ocean views.